591 North Ave, Wakefield, MA 01880
(781) 281-0901

Family Law

Divorce and Family Law

We help people in all aspects of family law cases including divorce, same sex divorce, alimony, division of marital assets, modifications of existing judgments, pre- and post-nuptial agreements, and all issues pertaining to the care and custody of children, including child support, custody and parenting time.

Contact UsRead about MA Divorce Law on mass.gov
Divorce Family Law at Charron and Flaws
Asset Division

In a Massachusetts divorce property is divided equitably and not necessarily 50/50. The division of property must be fair but that does not always translate into equal. 


Until recently, the prospect of alimony is filled with uncertainty. Recent legislative reforms have changed the Massachusetts alimony laws. 
The alimony reform legislation changes limits to alimony for shorter marriages and provides for several types of spousal maintenance that could benefit spouses after the termination of a relatively short marriage.

General Term Alimony

This type of alimony may be granted to a spouse who is financially dependent on the other. Previously, general term alimony could be ordered for an indefinite length of time. Under the Alimony Reform Act, general term alimony payments will end if the recipient spouse remarries or moves in with a significant other. Payments may also end when the paying spouse retires.

Child Support

With respect to child support, Massachusetts has developed the Massachusetts Child Support Guidelines to determine the appropriate amount of support. We will explain all aspects of child support such as the details of the child support guidelines, enforcement of support orders, increasing or decreasing current child support orders, and ensuring the court has all the  information to make an accurate support determination. If you have questions regarding child support, whether you are the recipient or payor, contact Charron and Flaws, LLC for a free initial consultation.

Other Types of Alimony

Reimbursement alimony when a spouse married for five or fewer years has contributed to the other spouse’s financial resources, such as by helping a spouse through graduate or professional school. The spouse may receive one or more payments as compensation for this financial contribution.
Transitional alimony when a spouse who has been married for five or fewer years needs financial compensation to transition to a different lifestyle or a new location. These spouses may receive one or more payments during the three-year period after the divorce.
Rehabilitative alimony when a spouse is financially dependent, but may become economically self-sufficient within a certain period of time. It may be granted for up to five years.

Contact us for a free consultation